Financial Planning After Divorce

Last Will and Testament

The most important financial planning document is your last will and testament. Most couples have each other as their primary heir in their wills. After you divorce, you need to make a decision on how to change your last will and testament in order to meet your changing estate plans.


You and your spouse may decide to separate and you proceed to execute a new will leaving your spouse nothing. However, in South Carolina that is not possible. In South Carolina, you cannot disinherit your spouse and they are entitled to claim the Spousal Elective Share of one third of your estate, including any assets placed in a revocable trust. You can enter into a contractual agreement whereby each spouse waives their rights to the estate of the other. That is an enforceable agreement and a standard clause in most marital settlement agreements. You need to remember that you are not divorced just because you have appeared in front of the judge. The divorce is not actually granted until the judge signs the Final Order of Divorce. Up until that time, your spouse is still entitled to their share of your estate absent an agreement to the contrary.

Joint Accounts

Most couples have numerous joint accounts together. Normally, these are credit cards, bank accounts and the home mortgage. If your name is on the account, even if only as an authorized user, you are still responsible for that debt. While there can be an agreement as to which party will pay the debt, you are still just as responsible. For credit cards, if you are not keeping the debt, you should send the company a certified letter stating that you will no longer be responsible for any future charges on that account. However, as long as you are still married, the South Carolina family court can divide the debts and you could still be held responsible.

If it is a joint account with the right of survivorship, then your spouse would automatically inherit the account or property by operation of law regardless of the fact that you are separated or even how long you have been separated. Once you separate, you should review any joint interests and make revisions accordingly.

If you and your spouse separate, it is advisable to contact a South Carolina divorce attorney immediately and try to resolve the financial issues by way of a marital settlement agreement.

Estate Planning

For an Estate Planning lawyer in Greenville, Spartanburg or Pickens County call

L. Wayne Patterson, Attorney at Law
10 Century Dr.
Greenville, SC 29607


Wayne is a Greenville attorney including probate, elder law, trusts, child custody, special needs trusts and South Carolina divorce. However, he also handles cases in Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester Counties on a regular basis.

Do you have a question ON ANY SUBJECT? Just Answer has people online to answer your question on CAR REPAIRS, MEDICAL, PETS ALMOST ANYTHING RIGHT NOW!!! A Deposit is Recommended.



Custom Search

This may be considered AN ADVERTISEMENT or Advertising Material under the Rules of Professional Conduct governing South Carolina lawyers. Under no circumstance will South Carolina Divorce be held liable for any loss or damage caused by a visitor's reliance on information obtained through this web site or any other communication from us. It is the responsibility of each individual visitor to evaluate the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any information, opinion, advice or other content. This site is intended to provide you only with general information. However, there is no guarantee that this information is comprehensive or accurate. South Carolina Divorce does NOT provide legal, financial, or tax advice. Please consult a professional in these areas. Only an attorney licensed in your state can provide you with legal advice. Links and Ads to third party sites are here for the convenience of site visitors only. The content of any third party site which you visit via a link from this site is solely the responsibility of the provider of that web site. Copyright 2010 Solidgold P.O. Box 14757, Greenville, S.C.